Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 41: Birth

I had such a fantastic birthday!! I knew I wanted to dress up, go for dinner, and then go out Friday night but I didn't really have a plan (which was making me feel panicky). I ran into Arin in the library and was like, "oh yea, we're going out for dinner, I think at some Italian place in Newtown..." and she was like, "Is someone planning this for you?" And when I said no, she immediately took charge and called me a few hours later with the plan. That made me feel so much better and actually excited about the whole birthday thing.

I did some grocery shopping and bought a birthday present for myself: a bottle of Soco. Then I went home and proceeded to begin the festivities. Noah and Helen came over and played cards with me until it was time to start getting dressed. I wore my semi-new long dress that's all abstract crazy that I love. Kris and Attie came over and gave me a lovely little chocolate birthday cake! Then we rounded up the troops and went to UniLodge to meet up with the other girls and head down to Darling Harbor.

We had girls only dinner at a restaurant called Olivo. A bunch of us got cocktails and talked for awhile. The setting on the harbor was so perfect. We ordered dinner and I decided to be Australian cool and ordered kangaroo. It was so delicious, I found it to be very similar to steak. Everyone was so sweet and paid for my meal and drinks. Amber and I went to the bathroom and when I came back the boys had shown up and there was an ambush involving people singing Happy Birthday. The waiters brought out a fabulous chocolate cake with sparkler candles. I didn't know you weren't supposed to blow out sparkler candles and was really confused when I couldn't get them to go out. Oh and I just realized because of this, I didn't make a wish, oops. The plate had "Happy Birthday to Sexy Katrine" written around the edge of it in chocolate sauce. I found this to be quite hilarious. Arin brought me over to the waitstaff so they could get a picture with Sexy Katrine (which is kind of my new nickname now). After everyone tried some of the cake, we headed down to the water and took pictures and such.

Next stop was Pontoon Bar. We danced until midnight happened and then I freaked out because I didn't want to be 20. Someone bought me a shot however, and I figured that was a good enough reason to keep dancing. There were many amusing shenanigans taking place over the next four hours. Yea, we were there a good four hours apparently. For example, Ted fell on me and one point and twisted my ankle and I yelled at him for a good five minutes after that. I kept sketching off to dance by myself because I thought that was a great idea and Tim would yell, "Who are you dancing with Kathryn?" before pulling me back into the circle. At some point, I busted out the stanky leg. Then someone decided we should leave so we got cabs back to Newtown.
In Newtown we tried to go to Marly, but it was 3am and they were closing. This confused everyone because we had no idea it was 3 already. So we ended up at Zanzibar. My sandal was really sticky and it was annoying so I whined about it to somebody who noticed that my foot was covered in blood. Yea, who knows. So I ended up in the bathroom cleaning it off and some good samaritan girl gave me a band-aid. On the was home the boys ended up carrying Amber halfway because she was getting blisters. And then I crashed. This is kind of a terrible account, but take my word for it; it was really the greatest night ever. It is going down in my book of legends/epic nights/etc.
The next day I got up and went to Ambers. We went for $6 Thai (I ended up getting two dishes, 'cause its my birthday!) and then caught a bus down to circular quay. We messed around in the rocks for a bit and then crashed out in the royal botanical garden by the harbor and opera house. This guy came up to us and said he was a teacher and he needed us to film him in front of the opera house, so of course we did it. He got on camera and was like "G'DAY GEOGRAPHERS!! rah rah rah..." It was so magnificent/entertaining. And then he asked if we would like to say something, of COURSE we would like to. So we got in front of the opera house and babbled like idiots about what we like about Sydney. Priceless. Can't wait for the kiddies back at school to get a load of us. Haha.
On the way home we stopped by the sports store to try and get some gear for the rugby game we were going to. We found these yellow and green striped scarves that were on sale and bought them, even though they were for some team called the Kangaroos and we were going to a Wallabies game. Same thing right? And conveniently enough, same colors. So, with our awesome scarves on, we met up with the boys and caught the train to ANZ Stadium.
The stadium was the one they used at the olympics and it was MASSIVE. And it was packed out since this game happened to be the Australian Wallabies v. the New Zealand All Blacks. Yea, who knows what an all black is. I had no idea what was going on 96% of the game since it was rugby, but dude were hitting each other really hard, so it was entertaining. The last two minutes were sooo exciting, but that's when we ended up losing the game. By one point. Bummer. And then 90,000 or so people all had to catch the train home. Surprisingly, it all ran very smoothly. Then we went out to Marly. They were playing really bad music so we gave up on that pretty fast and got some of Aiden's legendary $5.50 chicken burgers. A most excellent night cap if I do say so myself.

Oddly enough, I slept all day Sunday. Well, actually I woke up for free bbq, napped, then went to the gym and ended up running a 5k and doing a good 30min of abs. That was a pleasant surprise. Oh, but then I ruined it all later by getting 2 cups of ice cream. That ice cream is sooo good, I just can't help myself. Its really one of my top 5 favorite things about living in Sydney; its really that good.

Today I wasted tons of time, had a pleasant lunch with my friends Reed, and went to the travel agent. I found out the trip I want to do for spring break is booked and they wouldn't even let me get on a waiting list or anything. Then I ended up wasting more time before going to the gym at 6:30 where I did yoga for an hour then ad/bum class for an hour. That was the first time I've done proper yoga in about 3 years and I totally fouled up my shoulder. After the gym Brett came over and pitched the boys' spring break trip plans to me, and they sound pretty good. So I think that's what I'll be doing on sb: a big road trip up and down the coast. Should be ledge.

I need to buy milk. I can't believe I'm 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment