Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 35: Sticks and Phones

Let me start by saying I LOVE MY LIFE! Here's why:

I do school and gym and rah rah yesterday. Then, it being Tuesday night, I get ready and head to Amber's for pre-Scruffy's celebrations. Koko and James are there. I decide that I don't like what I'm wearing or what my hairs doing so I rummage through Amber's closet and steal one of her bobby pins. I find the cutest top ever; its a creamy/taupe color and its really flowy with a large kangaroo pouch-like pocket (that really isn't very functional) in the front of it. I know that doesn't sound cute, but just trust me. So we goof off for a bit, then I stash my cell in the pouch, cash in my jeans pocket and we head to another friend's apartment where a bunch of people are playing King's Cup and yelling at each other. I'm the only American except for these two drunko girls on the couch who are totally embarrassing me as an American. I occasionally voice this to the Australian sitting next to me. I'm wrapped up in the game so I don't noticed Amber and Koko taking off until a bit later and so I wander out into the village to find them. The really cool 5 bedroom apts that have 3 levels have a sliding door on the first floor that opens onto a porch that everyone leaves unlocked. So I wander around yelling "AHMBA!" and eventually someone responds that Amber's in here and I walk into someone's apartment through the screen door. I find Amber and Koko in their friend Jack's room trying to convince him to come out with us. Amber even pulls out her sweet party trick where she can link her arms and then circle them around her entire body. This gives me the great idea that I should call up my bff Noah and also harass him until he comes out with us. A few minutes later I'm out the door and over in Noah's apartment with Amber launching an all out attack on the poor guy. Amber steals his glasses and takes off, so he has no choice but to come. After rounding up the troops, we're cabbin' it to Scruff's.

At Scruffy's I get a glass of cider and mingle and stuff. Then I realize I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY PHONE IS. Stupid good for nothin' kangaroo pouch!! I hit the panic button and start trying to communicate this to Amber. She says she remembers knocking a phone off a couch in one of the apartments we visited earlier. Ok, that sounds promising. At some point, this Jack character calls her and says that he found a black Nokia. Sweet, that would be mine, crisis averted. Oh, then I remember I forgot to get my card access for work activated and I'm going to look like an irresponsible loser in the morning. Great. Oh and how am I going to wake up in the morning if I can't get my phone aka alarm clock?! Yea, I don't know. I decide then to just put the matter out of my mind and get my dance on. There's nothing quite like getting your dance on.

Later, Amber and Koko decide they're going to take off. I'm obviously not ready to end my Tuesday/begin my Wednesday so Noah and I stay behind and continue to get our dance on; for like 2 more hours. Its really awesome. Then I get fed up with the DJ though, he keeps playing garbage and I do have to get up in the morning somehow, so Noah and I embark on the journey home. I think I mentioned before Noah is agnostic, (or I said atheist bc that's what he said, but then tonight he said he was agnostic.. progress? ha) so I think this is a great time to start asking him questions like "What do you think happens to you when you die?" and "Where do your morals come from?" Thus, we have another engaging conversation. And, I end up bursting into song somewhere on Paramatta Rd, singing Shane and Shane. Haha, I really crack myself up. At some point he makes the comment,"Wow, we danced together for a good two hours and didn't even hook up... that is true friendship." Haha, that cracks me up too. I make Noah come back to my apartment with me incase I can't get Amber on the village phones and have to take his phone to use for my alarm. I can't get the phone back, but Amber says she'll call me at 7:30 (in approx 4 hours) to get me up for work.

4 hours later, the phone rings and I spring into action. Bowl of Cheerios, get dressed, head to Amber's to try and reclaim my phone. I need this freakin' phone to get into work since I'm such a moron and didn't get my swipe access situation figured out. She can't get Jack to answer his phone so without any other options we bust up in his apartment through the open screen door. Two of our girlfriends that went out last night are crashed on the couch still in their clothes, ha. I go to Jack's room (keep in mind I really don't know this guy) and bang on his door and yell "JAAACK!" But there's no answer. Ok, plan B. I try to pick the lock with a knife, then my earring, then start hunting for a bobby pin. Nice try, but this lock is much too complex for my picking ability. I don't know what to do so Amber and I walk outside when she finds the back to a black Nokia on the ground. That could be mine, and that is not a good sign. Just then I see the maintenance guy that I've noticed creepily staring at me before on more than one occasion. I ask him if he could pretty please unlock a door for sweet little ol me because I really need my phone for work and can't find my friend and rah rah. He's like, "ok." Well that was easy. So he goes and opens up Jack's room and flips the light on. Lo and behold Jack is in his bed and he promptly springs out of it (as I'm sure we've more than startled the guy), all my girlfriends are in the living room laughing hysterically and the maintenance man looks at me and says, "Did you try knocking?" I respond in a very whiny tone that I did and then proceed to thank him profusely while searching Jack's room for my phone. Jack watches this but waits until I have to ask him to tell me that its sitting on his desk. Awesome my phone! ... wait a minute... that's missing its back (which was the one we found)... AND THE KEYPAD! WHAT!?! How the heck does the keypad go missing!? Everyone continues to laugh hysterically at me and then Amber and I go searching for this keypad. No luck. Then my phone rings, I break a stick off of a bush next to me and use it to hit the answer button. Its Brett, I have to bring him my laptop so I don't even get to finish my tea before work.

I dash off to work in very high spirits and with much energy (stick and phone in hand) because I find my life very entertaining to say the least. I'm talking on the phone, breathlessly recounting the ridiculous last half hour, and end up stepping in dog poop. Haha, awesome. And that is what I call the cherry on a most excellent hot fudge life sundae.

No comments:

Post a Comment