Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 44: Australia as Usual

I don't have so much to blog about anymore. You know why? Oddly enough, I've achieved this overwhelming sense of normalcy here. It doesn't really feel like I'm on vacation anymore or that I'm even studying abroad. It just feels like I live here and that's just what I do. This may not seem profound to you, but when I really think about it, I'm blown away by the whole thing. I genuinely love it here and feel comfortable.

Also oddly enough, I'm really enjoying class here. Like a lot. I have class straight through from 9-6 on Thursdays (hour break 2-3) and then go straight to the gym for pump class at 6:30. As bad as it sounds, I kind of enjoy it. Its the day I have Buddhist philosophy for several hours and it forces me to do lots of really hard thinking, which I enjoy. Weird, I know. My only complaint is the kid in my tutorial who brings his Macbook and talks through his nose in a nauseating way, a lot. But, heck I don't even mind him; he's grown on me after a few weeks. And my social work tut is awesome. The tutor is this adorable older lady with a dark pink stripe died into her bangs and everyone discusses social work issues really passionately. I even work up a little enthusiasm after being in class for 300 hours straight before that.

Then going to the gym after is great because of my awesome instructor named Suzy. She's this middle aged, spunky, super toned, bleach blonde who is so enthusiastic. When we're getting towards the end of our reps and looks like we're about to fall over she always says things like, "Come on team!" or "Give me a few more team, that's the way!" She makes me want to be a gym instructor when I'm middle aged. (Which feels scarily close now that I'm 20). My spin instructor is hilarious too. She tried to get the class to sing happy birthday to me on Tuesday, but I protested loudly. They all thought it was very precious that I was just turning 20. I think she used to be a competitive aerobics dancer thing. Her bike is broken right now so she just does aerobics (that are quite complex) while yelling at us to up our resistance and I think I heard her say something about a move being from her championship aerobics routine. Yea, I didn't know they had those either.

Other parts of my normalcy include Tuesdays at Scruffy's where there are still creepers trying to get at me, but I have friends that keep them away now (when they're doing their jobs ha). I end up at the boys' apartment a lot to play nintendo or hearts. Oh, I lost hearts for the first time ever on Wednesday night, not pleased about that one. I find myself at that gelato place all the time and eat gelato like its my job. I'm proud to say that I've been there at least ten times, never gotten the same flavor, and liked every single one. I read a lot for my classes, eat weird Cheerios, grocery shop at Broadway, goof off around uni, and do lots of other Australian things as though this is what I've been doing for years. And the people here feel like they've been my friends for much, much longer than a month.

So I'm sorry that this post is really boring and apologize in advance for potentially boring future posts. I'm about to leave for Melbourne. Actually, we should have left an hour ago and I have no idea what's going on. I'm feeling sick again and am going to be in a car full or girls for the next ten hours so maybe that will make for an interesting post when I come home. Wish me luck! I will need it. Or maybe I'll just settle for a semi-comfortable position and some Benedryl...

P.S. Got my first grade back and made a D! Which stands for distinction and is a good thing. Woot.

No comments:

Post a Comment