Friday, February 1, 2013

Miseducation


I’m sitting at work watching the Why Poverty short documentary films so I’ll know what everyone is talking about when I sort through emails for our evaluation. (Obviously can’t do that back at my apartment as the internet is so bad.)

I just watched Miseducation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0iqqj1PjyQ

I hate it. I hate that I live in the exact same city as this little girl, but practically live on another planet. I hate how unfair it is, how unjust. Sometimes I feel scared walking down the street here, but I’m not 11 years old. And the streets I walk down are nothing compared to those she walks daily to get to school. When it came to getting to school as an 11 year old, my biggest fear was missing the school bus – not gang members, not disappearing, not rape. It’s heartbreaking.
I am heartbroken that we live in a world where children live in fear, and for very legitimate reasons. #whypoverty

No comments:

Post a Comment