Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 44: Penguin Patrol


I have had SUCH a good week. And I had a great weekend! So I guess I’ll mention by way of great weekend: a group of us went to Boulders Beach and the Cape of Good Hope on Saturday. Boulders Beach is home to a colony of South Africa’s Jackass Penguins. Jackass penguins because of the donkey-like bray noise they make. We start off at this entrance, pay our money, and go through the turnstyles to a boardwalk. As we walk down the boardwalk to the beach, we start to see them: a few cute little penguins doing penguin things amongst the bushes. This is obviously breathtaking and amazing and we all stop to take pictures. The couple of penguins we see at this point are too far away for me to get a good picture of with my Blackberry camera (my primary camera bc my Samsung point-and-shoot is quite awful), so I continue on down. At the beach there is a terrific mass of penguins laying a about, waddling around, snuggling – its GREAT. We take a bunch of pictures and that’s all great and stuff, but I’m getting a bit irritated that we’re stuck on this elevated boardwalk and separated from the penguins. I had heard tales prior to coming of a place where you can actually go and be with the penguins to waddle about, swim, etc with them. Cailey and I are discussing this with each other and we would just like to know, WHERE IS THIS PLACE? HOW can we get closer to the penguins!?? We being to scheme a return trip sometime and all that, and before we know it, the group is heading back out.

We follow along and realize we’re not walking back to the bus but rather away from it… hmmm where could we be going? We look over as we walk and begin to see little penguins swimming and playing on a beach and there’s no boardwalk. We walk a little further and see we’re going down to this beach and if we just swim across this nice calm looking stretch of water, we shall have our change to frolic with the penguins. And, Cailey has a waterproof camera that can swim over with us! We get to the head of the group, and as we enter the beach and everyone is settling their stuff in, Cailey and I strip and jet for the water. The penguins are SO CLOSE. I doggy paddle across and we eventually get to the other side and there they are!! We are amongst them! Commence the photoshoot!!

It’s the weirdest most magical surreal thing: I’m on this incredibly gorgeous beach - clear water, interesting rock formations, white sand - its warm out (no ice) and I’m in a swim suit, and there I’m playing with PENGUINS! They’re pretty chill; they just do their thing as we run about taking photos with them (from a mostly respectable distance). This also adds to the oddity of the whole thing.  Some dude comes over later and sticks his Blackberry in a penguins face to take its picture and the penguin like starts hissing at him and sticking his open beak towards this guy’s phone. And the guy doesn’t quit. I am worried that I might watch this guy get attacked by a penguin. Maybe that would be kind of cool though (and serve him right). He finally backs off though and I don’t get to see any penguin attack action.

After much quality time with the penguins, we head out from Boulders Beach to Cape Point. The Cape of Good Hope, contrary to popular belief, is actually NOT the southern-most part of Africa and is not where the Indian and Atlantic oceans officially meet. This would a bit further east at Cape Arugula or something. I have a cool moment there while running around – I remember learning about the Cape of Good Hope in school when I was a kid; I never thought then that I would actually go to see the it. It is cool to be in the home of the Flying Dutchman. It smells funny there and I read about a legend later on Wikipedia that explains that this is because of a ghost that farts there, like the Farting Dutchman or something. It smelled bad enough out on the actual point to make me a believer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment