Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 35: State of the Nation


This past weekend was very eventful, lots of fun to be had by everyone. On Saturday I wake up before 9 (ugh) to go on a wine tasting trip in Franschoek, a gorgeous wine valley a bit further out of Cape Town than Stellenbosch. I eat breakfast alone and think it odd because my roommate is also supposed to be going on this trip. I finish my bowl of museli and go knock on her door… nothing. Hm. I grab my phone and call her… nothing. I wonder if she came in last night? I go to knock on her door again and decide to open it before I panic. I open it and call her name. I look over and she’s laying in bed looking up at me with a dreamy look at her face. This freaks me out and I’m like, “Woah! Sorry, just couldn’t figure out where you were since you wouldn’t answer the phone or your door. You going to Franschoek still?” She nods and is like, “Dude, thanks for getting me up! Yes, let’s go.” We get ready and as we’re walking out the door, she gets the hiccups and starts freaking out. She is hilarious! And obviously still inebriated form the night before.

We get on the bus and drive out of town. Its rainy out, the first real rainy day we’ve had since I’ve been here. It doesn’t disappoint me though, it creates a relaxing vibe for the wine tastings and the greens of the valley are very intense against the dreary sky. The first vineyard is great, but the second is my favorite. Its called Grande Provence (http://www.grandeprovence.co.za/) and its over 300 years old. The wine is delicious, there is a beautiful garden, an art gallery, and a fancy restaurant. I could stay there exploring the gardens and wine fields all day, but we go on to the next winery for lunch. I split a bottle of Rickety Bridge Semillion (www.ricketybridgewinery.com) with my roommate who is taking the day like a champ, and another girl. For lunch I have a gigantic plate of fish. Probably should’ve gone for something more like a giant plate of bread. By time we get back on the shuttle to Cape Town, I am ready for a nap.

After waking up from my lovely nap, Cailey and I make curry for dinner. Well Cailey makes it while I sit on the couch, she’s been wanting to try out a green curry recipe. Its delicious and this seems like a great night to spend sitting on the couch. Except its Hunter’s last Saturday in Cape Town, so of course we have to go out. Much to my chagrin, I get off the couch and drag myself out. A new girl has joined us from Egypt and she doesn’t drink so I figure she’ll want to go in early like me. I find her and tell her to let me know when she wants to split and we can make that happen. Well what actually ends up happening is we finally find a cool place on Long Street called Joburg. It looks totally lame from the outside, and the first floor isn’t that special. But, somehow, we all get VIP stamps and are allowed up to this sweet room upstairs where a several hours long dance party ensues. Before I know it, Hunter and I are eating Indian and Chinese food at Food Inn at 3:45 in the morning and our other friends are trying to find another place to go out... Am I still in college? Oh well, that chicken fried rice from Food Inn lasted me 3 more meals and was delicious. And I had a great time.

The other highlight of this week has been the opening of Parliament and the State of the Nation Address (SONA), which I am currently watching. We got fliers under our doors, full page front and back, listing all the road closures that would be going on the days leading up to SONA and day of. So I googled what exactly this would entail and Parliaments website said there would be a flyover, horses, and cannons going off. I live right up the street and can see it perfectly from my building so naturally, this was all thrilling news. I went up to the roof a few times and saw them practicing. Its been quite an affair – I saw a troupe of bag pipers (in Africa??) and a lot of soldiers. The South African Air Force flyover practice happened – it was four propeller planes. Then today leading up to the speech, they shut down all the road around us. There was a red carpet rolled out at Parliament, I got to see the mounted police or soldiers or whoever they are doing their march down Plein street, and they fired off a bunch of huge cannons.  Unfortunately, they wouldn’t let us on the roof to watch today (security measure?) so I had to hang out the window to do it. Oh and can I say how annoyed I was that through this whole thing, there was no schedule of events to be found anywhere, or listing for its showing on tv? Yea, so I’ve just had to hang out and watch to see what happens.

The actual address is on tv now (someone had to call and inform me of this as I couldn’t find a schedule anywhere). The president, Jacob Zuma, is (in my humble opinion) a very mediocre speaker; lots of awkward pauses and coughing, weird diction. I haven’t heard many positive things about him since I’ve been here. I also found out today he has 5 (!) wives and 22 children, none of whom have over an 8th grade education (I haven’t verified this fact). But now he’s going on about education, seems like that could start at home? The president just said something about getting a Facebook message from someone about land redistribution… what is going on?

Anyway, in other news, I got sick yesterday. I woke up with a scratchy throat so I panicked at work and went to Clicks (Walgreens equivalent) and bought the closest thing to EmergenC I could find.  It must’ve been too little too late because I woke up this morning with a full-out cold. I went into work for two hours because there were some things I really needed to get done at the office today and then I went home and slept for 4.5 hours. Bummer. Kyle texted me a happy face for Valentines Day and I finished a jar of Nutella that was sitting in my cabinet stopping every now and then to blow my nose. Happy Valentines Day to me. Unfortunately, I couldn’t even escape it in South Africa as there were heart shaped chocolate boxes and pink love stuff in the stores all this week.

Looks like its bed for me again very soon and hopefully I’ll get this virus thing under control so I don’t waste a precious weekend. We’re going on a trip to Cape Point this weekend, including a stop at the PENGUIN BEACH. Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment