Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pre-Flight Misadventures


Let me tell you about my day now that my blood pressure seems to be back to a reasonable level. I woke up this morning and was like, "Woah, its July 15; a date that has only existed in various conversations and date books of mine. It wasn't supposed to actually get here." I continued packing and then met Dad for lunch at Commander's. Weepy Kathryn was out in full force and I felt myself getting misty eyed over all the nice things Dad kept saying about how proud he was of me. He was acting erratically all day, I'm not sure he's entirely thrilled to be sending his daughter off to Australia for a long time by herself. Where are Mom and Claire you ask? They're at Disney World. Yea.

So after lunch, we're loading the car and while Dad's rolling my purple suitcase down the stairs, he manages to pop one of the legs off of it. Now my suitcase is severely handicapped and can't stand up. Shortly after this, I stubbed my left baby toe thereby handicapping myself. I just felt so bad for the suitcase I guess. So now I can't wear closed toed shoes (its winter) and I kind of gimp around.

Around 3:30 we go to the Boot for a goodbye drink when Dad gets this idea and calls a Delta rep. They proceed to inform him that one needs to be at the airport 2 hours before take-off for international flights to check luggage. It appears we're going to miss that boat, but not without a fight. So we get in Shitsky and Dad Speed Racers out of that place. The drive isn't free and clear so we're all tense. I turned the radio on to enjoy some crappy pop/hip-hop for the last time. The last song I heard on the radio was Boom Boom Pow. Excellent.

We pay someone to haul all my crap 20 yards to the counter and I hug Dad goodbye and get all teary. He's not loving it either. And then he's out the door. I wait in line for what seems like forever before I realize I left my new jacket in Shitsky. I hit the panic button and call Dad who promptly turns around and comes back to the airport. He's right on time for the jerklady behind the counter to finally check my bags and charges me TWO HUNDRED dollars to check one small extra rolling suitcase and ONE HUNDRED FIFTY dollars to check Godzilla, my lovely overweight suitcase (66 pounds). I also have in tow my new monogrammed duffle bag that weighs what feels like 50 pounds. So Dad and I share a second tear-uppy goodbye and I'm off!

After walking halfway to my gate I feel like my shoulder is being ripped off by the a fore mentioned duffle and my gimp isn't made cuter by the Hello Kitty bandaid on my pinkie toe. I'm feeling the stress so I sit down for a little facebook therapy and can't connect to the stinkin' internet! It was pretty chilly in the airport though, so I got to wear my new jacket. Its really soft, so when I pet my arm I feel a little better. I boarded the plane and as we were taking off from New Orleans, I actually let a few tears fall. I really do love that place.

On the plane ate a cheese and fruit dinner that they charged me $6 for and I didn't get my free cookie. Dude, what happened to free dinner? AND they try to cheat me out of a cookie after I paid $350 to get my bags on the plane? Oh well, I also watched the Man v. Wild with Will Farrell on it. I also found out there's a new series on Discovery called Ice Loggers.

So I'm just hanging out now, waiting for Helen to get here. When she does, I fully plan on going to McD and getting a McFlurry. If I wasn't about to board a trans-Pacific flight I would go for a McGangBang, you know how that goes. I have Benedryl ready to go and am hoping they'll sell me a cocktail since its an international flight in order to guarantee I'm unconscious for a very large part of this flight. Hopefully I won't wake up 'til Friday at 6am when we're about to land. Although I'm quite tired from this whole ordeal, I'm getting so excited! I still have an ocean to cross though. Think of me tonight when you're laying down all cozy in your flat bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment