Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 2: An Overview of the Harbo(u)r



I woke up at 5 this morning freaking out because I was freezing despite the fact I went to bed in a t-shirt, sweatshirt, my warmest sweatpants, a scarf, leg warmers, and socks. My apartment isn't climate controlled and I was determined to make it on the cheapest blanket I could find because I feel guilty about being so expensive. But one of the first things I did this morning was go buy more blankets so we don't have a repeat of last night.

I had some weird "Cheerios" for breakfast. The thing is, they aren't really Cheerios because they're made by Nestle and are oddly thick. Then Helen and I went exploring. I was really awkward ordering coffee again today. After standing around staring at things for 5 minutes I thought I had it down and asked for a tall black. Wrong, its a long black. They had a coffee flavor called Bourbon Street. New Orleans always manages to follow me, but I can't believe it made it all the way to Sydney. And then we went to buy bus passes but ended up buying $3 candy bars instead. So worth it though, they have delicious European chocolate in all the convenience stores.

We kind of guessed and got on a bus that ended up taking us down to Circular Quay and thus, the magnificent harbor! Or harbour, I suppose. The bridge and the opera house were magnificent! And the weather was absolutely beautiful. The air was so crisp and I have yet to see a cloud in the sky. My grandaddy kept telling me how clear the harbor water was. He would go on and on about how its kinda like San Francisco bay, except the bay is gross and the harbor has crystal clear water. He is absolutely right. We also went by the market place at the Rocks. It was quite novel, one shop was selling American license plates for $29 and randomly determined a North Carolina plate was "special edition" and had it priced at $35. Haha. The best part was he also had some license plates with a rebel flag and bald eagle on them. Fabulous really.

We walked around the CBD a bit more and ended up on some steps next to Darling Harbor. These particular steps looked out onto a fountain type thing that had stepping stone platforms through it. We sat there over an hour watching as every child that passed couldn't resist jumping on all of the platforms with their parents chasing behind them. The people watching was great too.

I'm about to go buy a go phone, exciting no? And then go dig in a dumpster for some dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you should've suitcased American junk to pawn off and just bought a whole new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear sweet Kathryn, your adventures have always been entertaining, but these are up there at the top.

    ReplyDelete