Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 105: The Beginning of the End (wow that's the saddest title ever...)

As of today, 22 October (as the Aussies would write), I only have one month left in Sydney and only one week left of class. I dreamed about going home two nights ago, it was weird. I don't wanna leave!! And I sure as heck don't want to pack this room up...

So, if you recall, I had quite an awesome weekend; and the fun didn't stop on Sunday. It was a lovely spring morning with showers rolling in. Matthew and I drove to Sydney's beautiful landmarky church St. Mary's cathedral that morning for mass. I haven't been to proper mass except for Krissie's confirmation so this was great fun for me. The church is gorgeous and I really enjoyed hearing the choir and loved the incense they were swinging around everywhere. After church, Matthew took me to see Elizabeth Bay at Potts Point. We strolled around enjoying the neighborhood and its nice gardens and shops before stopping in at a German cafe called Maggie's for brunch. I got this massive omelet with hashbrowns and toast. I think I can say breakfast is now officially my favorite meal of the day. Except for fourth meal, ha. Maybe not, I have a very ambivalent relationship with four meal. We went back to Newtown after that and I took a rainy Sunday afternoon nap, which is the best of all naps.
The rest of the week has been pretty standard, there were a few things of note: Monday I upped the weight on my bar for pump class, which was a lovely challenge and my arms actually felt a bit sore the next day. Tuesday I had a really awesome day, it was sunny and gorgeous out. There are these really great trees all over campus that are covered in purple flowers that I love. My connect group was good and I had my very last history tutorial and lecture until the final! Yay. That night I went for a run and ended up getting lost in Stanmore which was a fun adventure and good exercise.

Wednesday was another day at the BMRI doing 9-5 things. I'm really feeling the heat right now because I present on my research this coming Thursday. I spent the entire 8 hours of work crunching numbers on SPSS and sorting out what all of my data meant. I think in the end I came up with some presentable findings. I don't really know though. I didn't leave work until 6 actually and left my data for St. Tony, as I like to call him (who is another intern, but like a really important one that doesn't have to organize filing cabinets and stuff...) to look over and determine whether or not it makes sense. He has been my savior for this whole thing re-teaching me SPSS and dealing with all my annoying questions. While I hate fooling with stats and stressing over all this, some part of me thinks its cool.
I went straight to the gym after work for step class. I caught my reflection in the mirror a couple of times and couldn't help but think about how I am SO my mom when I'm doing aerobics. On the way home, I was passing the Wentworth building when I heard a saxophone. I listened a bit more and sure enough, it was the sweet sound of jazz floating out from the Herman Bar. I couldn't help myself and turned back around to go sit in and have a listen. The bar is really small so I was still noticeable sitting by myself even though I tried to get an inconspicuous table in the back. I was quite enjoying myself when this drunk dude sitting with a bunch of other drunk dudes yells,"Hey pretty lady." Or something to that effect. I cringed. He can't really be talking to me, I just left the gym. I stink. I'm sweaty. Everyone at the bar heard him yell that and looked at me. I tried to hide a little bit, but it didn't work because one of the other dudes yells,"Hey! You're Liam's friend." Oh, great. And then another yells,"Precious? PRECIOUS!" (As in the nickname Liam and the other Aussie boys gave me on our Blue Mountains trip to make fun of me.) I know one of the boys out of 5, and I certainly had no idea who this guy was that was calling me Precious. I was quite embarrassed and also cornered so I joined them over on the couches they were sitting on. After I got over the initial embarrassment of appearing to be that girl that got picked up by a bunch of drunkos, it ended up being pretty amusing. They bought me a drink and there was some promotion going on for a cider brand so I ended up getting a free visor and pair of sunglasses. When I left the bar I promptly gave Liam a call and whinged about his friends embarrassing me. Then I ended up hanging out at his place that night mostly listening to jazz in the loft. He kindly let me do my laundry over there, which saves me $15, and couldn't have happened any sooner. I was definitely out of underwear.

Nothing of note happened today really except Liam and I had breakfast at Hoochie's; two flat whites, a bowl of cinnamon porridge for me (I LOVE their porridge) and a Big Hoochie Breakfast for him. Did I already say how much I love breakfast? Also, I picked up the pictures I had developed from the water camera I brought with me over spring break. They came out very nicely and I'm quite excited. Tomorrow I'm going to the Central Coast with about 12 other people for the weekend. We rented a swanky house up there. Should be a good time, I hope the weather is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment