Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 110: Gotta Get Down on Braaiday

This weekend was another marvelous montage of beaches, penguins, sunsets, staying out too late, etc. It also included the South African Cheese Festival. Winning! We drove out to Stellenbosch for the day and had tons of cheese and wine tastings, plus lounging and dancing to live music. The best part was playing a game where we all split up and each bought an item to R 20 to bring back to the group to share later. I bought a bottle of white wine, it was actually R 35, but it was so good I figured I didn’t mind paying $4 instead of $2.50. We brought back a nice spread – two bottles of wine, a wheel of camembert, a wheel of brie, a slice of chocolate cake, and a jar of pesto to go with the bread we brought from home. Not to shabby. Oh wait, I think maybe the actual best part was that a lady was selling these lanyard things that hold your wine glass for you. So you can WEAR you wine glass around your neck. I obviously seized this opportunity immediately. Although it turns out wearing your wine around your neck can be quite dangerous. Don’t set it down while your sitting and then make any sudden movements. And don’t walk around in hands-free mode if its filled up too high, or your shirt will pay for it. Basically, I recommend only putting white wines in your wine necklace glass. But definitely wear it proudly.

My favorite story lately comes from today though. Today, May 1, is Workers’ Day here in South Africa (sometimes known as May Day), so we get a public holiday. Hooray! This is the first public holiday that I don’t stay home and use as a schoolwork catch up day. Maybe I should have, but, ah well, I have school pretty under control and I couldn’t care less about it at this point. Senioritis. So some friends and I hatch a brilliant plan to go to a famous braai place in a township – Mzoli’s in Guguletu. I have been wanting to go for months but had pretty much given up on the idea, but what better day to go than a public holiday?? So we all pile in the car and head down the N2 into the Cape Flats (the place the guidebooks and proper/scared people tell you to avoid like the plague).

We hang out for a bit and wait for our friend Zelda to get there who is from Gugs (pronounced googs) but now has moved on up and lives in Paarl, and her niece Natalie. Since we’re a little early and are not sure what else to do, we go to the bar next door and get some beers. It is after noon by now anyway. A guy comes around selling sunglasses, so I buy a couple of pairs – one a pair of fake Ray Ban aviators (Roi Bans as Alison cleverly calls them) and this cheesy pair of way farer style glasses with the South African flag pattern covering them. I think they’re hilarious. I supposed I’ll wear them on safari. I also decide to wear them the rest of the day in Gugs just to help myself stick out a little more.

Anyway, so our friend shows up and the braai party begins! Inside Mzoli’s is very much what I thought it would be: a bunch of tables under a tent with a ton of people at them eating meat and generally getting rowdy. But the weird part is that there is a DJ BLARING house music. So its like a bbq place, but also a club. And not the sort of club I would have pictured, because I would fully have expected hip-hop to be blaring. I hate house, but whatever, I accept it. And these people make it fun anyway.

So after we claim a table, we head to the butcher to pick out our meat. We get a ton of chicken so Ines, I want a lot of what I think are steaks (later I think they are actually pork), we get hunks of lamb, and a big sausage for Abe. Cherry wants everything. Ok, I want everything too. We pretty much all want everything, except Ines who only wants chicken. Oh, but maybe I don’t want the sausage. That stuff looks incredibly disgusting, like giant slabs of intestines just sitting on top of each other in the meat case. All wriggly and slimy and nasty. Picking out meat is fun! Then we take it back to the pits for someone to cook. In the meantime, there is drinking to do back at the table. Besides the beer we bought, Zelda has brought sparkling red wine with her. She works at none other than Solms Delta – the winery where we had the picnic from heaven!! I love her.

Soon the meat is ready and it turns out eating it is more fun than picking it out. It is DELICIOUS. We eat meat on meat on meat. So much meat! Like a HUGE platter full, 6 of us can’t finish it all. And it only cost R 220. While eating the meat, I can’t help but bob my head up and down to the persistent beat of the house music. What a strange and magical place. I even eat the creepy sausage, and its pretty darn good.

More reasons to love Zelda, besides the fact that she’s beautiful and fun and sweet, she goes way back with Mzoli. THE Mzoli of Mzoli’s. He comes and talks to us for a bit and has us come sit at his table. Excellent. We take some photos with him. And then its time to dance. Let me tell you, I am so thankful I took that hip-hop dance class when I was a senior at Tulane. It has helped me enormously to dance confidently in cultures that value being able to move your caboose. Once again, it comes in handy. I feel like I should write a thank-you note to my teacher. Natalie and I do lots of booty-bumping and she shows me some dance move where you kick really high in the air. I start showing off and kick really high and almost knock some guy in the face. He looks a little shocked but is good natured about it. Natalie laughs really hard and tells me to tone it down. Then Cherry points out that someone at Mzoli’s told me to tone it down. This is my wild life.

After we dance for awhile, Zelda wants to show us another “posh” bar down the street. It’s a cement building with leather furniture and elaborate crown molding plus some flat screen TVs showing a soccer match that everyone is fixated on. Cool, posh enough for me. Room for improvement in the bathrooms though, that’s for sure. I couldn’t figure out how to flush the toilet. Township life.

As we went to leave the bar, someone came out and said, “Wait, Mzoli would like to see you.” So we go back into another room where I see a huge pig roasting in the corner. Mzoli is there and gives us all hugs and tells us to come back. This has been an outstanding day. And then its back to Cape Town.

I finish up my internship tomorrow. We had my goodbye tea yesterday, which I should write about, but its sad. The ladies gave me some gifts and a giftcard to Woolies to prep for my trip. I’m going to miss Southern Hemisphere a lot! I leave for my safari in 4 days. Wow it really is the end now. I’ve had a lot of nervous energy getting ready for this. I’m not ready to leave. Can’t believe its gone so fast.

Anyway, watch this excellent Rebecca Black "Friday" parody called "Braaiday" :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyLvCXYKUg

No comments:

Post a Comment