Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Days 128-130: One Last Full Weekend to Get Myself in Ridiculous Situations

On Friday (day of my last final in social work) I wake up, make myself some tea and a bowl of Uncle Toby's and then potter around my apartment for a bit trying to get ready for the study fest that's about to go down in the Lair. I really haven't done any sort of efficient studying prior to this, so its crunch time. I make myself really nervous and go into hyperstudy mode until 2 when its time for me to go find my exam location; its on the Darlington campus which is still near to me, but I never go there really. So I rock up to the chemical engineering building about 30min early just to make sure I've found it alright then find a vacant floating chair out on the terraced lawn and study a bit more until a quarter til. I go into the building and then start looking for the elevator or stairs or some way to get up to the 6th floor where my exam room is. As I'm circling this weirdo building with all its creepy labs and whatnot, I'm starting to panic because there are no stairs that go past the 3rd floor and no elevators at all... I double check my planner and see that I'm actually supposed to be in the ELECTRICAL engineering building. Ahhg! Hit the panic button! I have not a clue as to where this building is! I rush back outside to the now nearly deserted lawn and remember that there's a campus map back up the hill a bit towards the gym. I spot it and take off running in that direction and manage to locate the electrical engineering building which luckily isn't that far away and it appears as though I will have enough time to make it over and get in before its too late. So I run there and then manage to navigate the also very confusing building and make it in just before the exam starts along with a couple of other stragglers. Yea, so my adrenalin is really pumping for this exam. I breeze through the multiple choice, and quite enjoy myself in the process, and then crank out my essays while getting massive hand cramps for the rest of the 2 hour period.

We all finish up and/or get kicked out at 5:10. I'm finished!! Woohoo! (except part of me is really, really sad to be finished with uni.) My classmates and I all go to the Marly to celebrate. I have a lovely time chatting with them and we end up hanging out most of the night. A bunch of them even came back to my apartment for a bit which was embarrassing because the Lair is a total wreck, but everyone seemed to appreciate that.

Saturday I'm up fairly early and meet Maya and Liam to go to the royal botanic gardens. I mentioned to Liam earlier in the week that I wanted to so go spend a day there before I left so he planned a picnic for Saturday. The gardens are GORGEOUS, they're right on the harbour if you go to the opera house and keep walking past it. We brought lots of blankets and cushions so Maya and I sprawl out and fall asleep straight away after we finish marveling over the beauty of the whole scene and I get in a bit of a winge about having to leave in a week. Later more people arrive and we have a game of cricket (my first ever) which is really fun until the garden police show up and yell at us; apparently there are no ball games allowed. After they drive off we pull out the frisbee, because it obviously isn't a ball, and commenced a lovely frisbee tossing session. A bit later Maya and I potter around the garden exploring all the different flora before its time to go. That day definitely solidified the gardens' spot on my favorite things of Sydney list.

Later myself, Liam, and his housemates Chris and Greg all go to Bambino's as I would like to have a goodbye hunk of lasagna. Then we proceed to hang out in my apartment while I get ready for the night and, in true Aussie fashion, they proceed to "take the piss out of" (aussie for make fun of) everything from the mess in my apartment to one of my favorite dresses. I want to punch them all in the nose, all in good fun of course. Then we go to Maya's and hang out with other friends before attempting to go to the Ivy which is this swanky sweet pub/club downtown I've been wanting to go to for awhile. By the time we finally get out the door to Ivy its really late and a series of events unfold from Maya forgetting her ID and having to get off the bus halfway through the trip to a massive traffic jam on George. Basically, we don't get there and end up back at Central station. I make sure the others get on buses home and then catch the 412. Chris texts me and asks how everything is going and when I say awful he volunteers Liam to come get me when I get off the bus. So I end up hanging out at the boys house again and falling asleep in the loft while listening to Miles Davis. I wake up the next morning with the sunrise a little before 6 wondering how in the heck I managed to fall asleep in the loft. My going inside to crash properly on the couch sets off another series of events involving me getting really, really angry with Liam and leaving the house to catch a bus home. Long story short I wait at the bus stop for about 45min before I think I left my purse back at the house which causes me to miss the only bus that will be coming for another hour. I don't know where I'm going but end up walking halfway home before finding a cab and getting back around 8 all the while grumbling and wondering how I get myself in these situations. Oh well, can't do anything but laugh about it now, which I am currently doing.

After hearing that story, I think you can understand why one word can sum up what I did most of the day on Sunday; that word being: slept. When I finished that up though, I went to church at Hillsong one last time with Amber and actually enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment